Bread Pudding

Waaaaaayyyyy back in the day when Josh and I got married, he used to tell me that bread pudding was one of his favorite desserts, which I thought sounded totally bizarre and weird.
I mean Bread?  PUDDING?

Then for awhile when we first moved to Medford, we had weekly lunch dates with the 'Honeys' at Home Town Buffett and Josh was able to have bread pudding every week for dessert.  I was confused as to what could be better than all the ice cream you could eat.

But now that we live in California things have changed.  It started with General Conference weekend spent with Josh's parents.  I think it's pretty much a standing tradition for Grandma Richardson to make bread pudding during conference.  So that's where I had my first taste of bread pudding.

And while I wouldn't go so far as to proclaim it my favorite dessert (for one thing, it's not sweet enough to be termed dessert in my mind), we do like to eat it for breakfast every couple weeks.  It makes a great way to use up those pesky bread loaf end slices that you feel guilty just throwing away, but no one wants a sandwich made up of "butts" as they are affectionately called in our home.  (FYI - I don't really like that word, but it seems so fitting.)

I have a gallon ziploc bag that I keep in the freezer in which all bread ends are deposited.  When I get enough (the recipe only takes about 1/2 a freezer bag worth of bread), we make bread pudding and eat it for breakfast.  I've simplified Grandma Richardon's recipe somewhat.  I prefer to make it the evening before so that it can sit overnight in the fridge and soak up the milk, but the beauty of the recipe is that you can mix it in about 5 minutes the day you want to cook it -and then let the oven do the work.

Bread Pudding

Preheat oven 350 degrees
1. Spray 9x13 casserole dish
2.  Break bread into 1-inch square chunks (or so) and put in casserole dish until about 2/3 full
3.  Mix: 4 beaten eggs, 4 cups milk, 1/4-1/2 cup sugar (to taste), 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp cinnamon  (raisins, opt.)
4.  Pour mixture over bread chunks.  (Optional: soak overnight in fridge)
5.  Bake for 50 minutes until center doesn't jiggle when you shake the pan a bit.

Serve warm.  We frequently like to drizzle with maple or fruit syrup and add a hefty spoonful of whipped cream (I make a low-sugar version of the whipped cream since this is a breakfast food for us).


So far I've used sandwich bread, hot dog buns, french bread, zucchini and pumpkin breads in our bread pudding (or mixtures of several) and they've all turned out great!

Comments

  1. I have fixed cinnamon-apple bread pudding for you. I remember Josh driving away from my house w/ a bowlful, and later telling me the bowl flipped over in the car! I do mine in my crockpot.
    I also have a recipe for chocolate-cherry bread pudding, but I haven't tried it bec your dad isn't a big fan of bread pudding.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

complaint

June bugs part 2 - missionary love!

'May' you always have the wind at your back