complaint

I was so irritated on Sunday.  Stake Conference is this weekend and it was announced that our visiting GA was inviting all youth 12+ to the Saturday evening adult session.

I immediately thought: "Thank you for un-inviting me, and many of my friends".
Any mom in the stake with children until 12 probably won't be there.  Unless Grandma steps in.

I vented my frustration to my poor husband.  He just assumed that I would take precedence over attending and one of our older girls would babysit.  I told him that's not how moms think -and most likely that other moms in the stake wouldn't be leaving their teens at home.  Plus, what about those moms who only have young children? You've just effectively taken away all their babysitters.

He said that he did make this argument a month ago when the meeting was being discussed.  I guess he got outvoted.


When these sorts of decisions come down - I have to say that it makes me grumpy.  Don't the people making these calls remember what it was like to have young children?  I LOVE Saturday night session.  It's when I actually get to listen and it's when the best talks are given (no slight to those of you speaking on Sunday!!)  I try not to have bad feelings about this, but it's a struggle for me.

Thanks for listening.


Comments

  1. Hmmm, that is annoying. I wonder if they're going to gear their messages more towards the youth that night? The taking away of all the babysitters is a bummer though for a lot of people. Brian spent so many years being the tech guy I wasn't able to attend the adult session for any of them, so I know what you mean. I went to the adult session last fall and it was *magical*, lol. If it helps, you could watch it online probably, if you know who to get the URL from. It's not ideal since it's during bedtime routines and everything, but it can be better than nothing I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our stake just did the same thing. All the moms wondered the same thing. I know one mom who stayed home, so her older kids could go. Needless to say, both Bryan and I stayed home, since neither of us wanted to go alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They did it in our stake too, so I'm guessing it came down from S
    L, and I'm surprised voting was even an option

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here too. And the adult session was an hour away for me, so I didn't go because it's just me and James right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our Stake also did this and I thought the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you leave Logan home with the two girls and take the baby? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I felt the same way and asked my dad about it. He said it came from Salt Lake. I feel like HELLO?!?!?!?! Salt Lake...did you not invite ANY women to the meeting where you decided this?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It didn't effect us much because we just traded off (Ryan priesthood leadership===me adult session) like we usually do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know how I'm just seeing this now! I guess I've been behind with my blog reading. Anyway, I am relieved to not be the only one who felt a little frustrated. I really, really hope this isn't going to be the new normal. It ended up working out okay for Marc and I to switch mid-meeting, but I was mostly frustrated that the majority of our youth didn't even show up and I could have gotten a babysitter. I just don't see many of them being interested in the Saturday night session. Plus, I didn't really get the feeling that the messages that night were especially directed at them anyway. Why not do a special meeting just for the youth Sunday morning before the general session? That has worked in the past. I hope it was just a one-time thing. I was sad about what I missed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

June bugs part 2 - missionary love!

'May' you always have the wind at your back