18 Years Later...


18.5 years ago I cradled a skinny, pink-skinned, wrinkly, bald little baby in my arms and 
became a mother.

Life changing.


I'm not really sure what to say now about the fact that my tiny little baby that I held in that hospital room is done with her childhood.  It's been a surreal autumn as I've pretty much been able to live as I've always lived with my brood of six still around me.  But now, starting tomorrow, everything begins to change.  As I sit here looking at photos of my beautiful, amazingly talented child I can hear packing tape being pulled over boxes.  My throat is starting to close up and my eyes are 
starting to overflow a little.  I don't have to say good-bye for a few more days yet.  
But tonight is her last night in her bed at home for at least seven months.  
And even when she comes home, it won't ever be the same.


I can think of a thousand things I wanted to do with her, to say to her.  
A million missed opportunities to say I love you and to hug her.


Hannah, you don't need much advice.  I feel pretty good putting a stamp of approval on your forehead.  This kid is done!  You are more than capable of taking on anything you put your mind to.  You are kind.  You love the Lord and try to do what's right.  You know how to clean the kitchen, drive a car, and snuggle a baby.  You have a terrific sense of humor, a great head on your shoulders.  

I love you so much and I'm going to miss you terribly.

Good luck, darling.



















Comments

  1. I came up w/ some semi-smart-alecky remarks, but really, I want to cry too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brought tears to my eyes! Beautifully said, my friend. You did well. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

complaint

June bugs part 2 - missionary love!

'May' you always have the wind at your back