Newport Marathon

Josh's marathon was on Saturday.  It was super fun to be in Oregon with him and cheer him on.  Having never been to a marathon before, I wasn't really sure what to expect as a spectator.  Turns out, there was quite a bit of free time on my hands!  I managed to fill it nicely, though.

After months and months of preparing for this, the main goal of course is to finish - which he did. ;-)

Here are the pictures I took during the race.  The race started at 7am.  The runners made a short 3 mile loop through town and then passed back by the starting location before heading down to the river for the rest of the run.  I waited around with John and his kids to see Josh and Jenny go through (and pick up Josh's jacket from him once he was warmed up).  Then I was free for a bit.  I used that first bit of free time to go back to the hotel for a shower and a better breakfast (who can eat at 5am??!!).

pre-race - getting ready to run!

And they're off!  See Josh waving back at us?



3 miles in and warmed up!  Looking good...

Still smiling at mile 15.  This is the turnaround point to head back to the finish.  11.2 miles to go!

I went to the beach while I waited.  You can see why!  It was such a beautiful day!

Happy to not be running!

I love the Newport beach here by the lighthouse!

Bringing it home down the final hill (but suffering some blisters!)

We thought with a lucky number and a Ricks College T-shirt, he couldn't go wrong!  Go Vikings!

Crossing the finish line

Drinks and snacks in the runner's area.  That's Jenny in the marathon shirt they got for finishing.

A little First Aid for the blisters


I'm so proud that he did it!  What a super accomplishment!


After the marathon, showers, and a yummy lunch at Mo's, we jetted back to Corvallis to catch a movie with two of my sisters, their husbands, and our Dad.  We saw the new Star Trek movie.  Apparently you are supposed to have seen Wrath of Khan before seeing that movie.  Just a heads up.  I hadn't so I've been informed that I've missed a lot of the best connections.

On Sunday we were able to be present when my sister's baby was blessed, followed by a family lunch.  It was  fun to be able to hang with my sisters and my parents for a little bit on this brief weekend excursion. 

Josh is still recuperating a bit from his run, but he's not walking funny anymore, or needing the railings to go up and down stairs.  ;-)   Is he doing another marathon?  So far his answer has been "never again".   But once was good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

complaint

June bugs part 2 - missionary love!

'May' you always have the wind at your back