In like a lion...

I recently heard about a podcast called "Leading LDS" and was intrigued by the title and started listening to it.  It is seriously super good.  I'm not big into podcasts.  They are like non-fiction books to me - I like to be able to skim through and pick up the good parts and jump ahead if I'm feeling bogged down.  That's harder to do with  an audio anything.  But this podcast - it's gold.  I've listened to probably 8 episodes.  My favorites so far are the interviews with Whitney Johnson (SO GOOD!), Dave Crenshaw, and Brad Wilcox.  I also like Brett McKay (founder of the Art of Manliness website - if you're familiar with that).  I've listened to several interviews with Relief Society Presidents that are pretty good - I've gotten some good ideas from listening to those as well.  And there was one more - I can't remember the name of the guy who was interviewed but the title was about bearing the counseling burden - that one surprised me by how good it was.  Anyway, if you want ideas for how to be a better teacher or leader in the church - this is the podcast for you - no matter your calling!  I think you can get gems from all of them.
https://leadinglds.org/


I know we are technically only halfway through March, but it's flying so fast I know it will be April after I blink.  Josh and I got the flu - we think the actual flu.  I was sick for a full week and then he started...and then I spent the week he was sick feeling so tired.  Like, two naps a day and no motivation to do anything.  Now I'm starting to feel better but he is still super tired.  So the first half of March was kind of a wash in terms of getting anything done.  Thank goodness the kids have been mostly healthy.  Only Faith got sick and she bounced back a lot faster.

Brynne and Logan had their first track meet.  Brynne is set up to have a stellar season.  Her coaches are drooling over her skills and her muscles - she is in excellent shape right now and peak condition.  Her opening time in the 200 was three seconds better than mine my senior year - so I'm looking forward to seeing what she can do.  She's been encouraged to try a new race this year - 100H.  That's more technical and she is enjoying the challenge.
Logan has fallen in love with Pole Vaulting.  He's also planning to do javelin.  His coaches have tried to figure out what ELSE he should do - everyone pretty much needs a running event.  At his first meet they had him do the 100M and the 800M.  He hated the 800 but the coaches said his form is so good and he's strong - they want him to do distance.  He's not thrilled.  He was tired his first meet after that long race and so scratched his three pole vaulting attempts.  However, his practice heights would have netted him 3rd place at the meet if he'd pulled those off.  Pole vaulting is something that takes years to develop - we heard that most freshmen pole vaulters don't really even compete because the skills take so long to develop.  But he really enjoys it and has the upper body strength to pull it off so I think that will be fun to watch.
He's doing well as a freshman - he's well-known (thanks to being Brynne's little brother) so his social life at track is better than wrestling.  Plus I think there's a better quality of teammate on the track team  - he will enjoy this more than wrestling.  I heard from another mom in the ward that her son didn't like the wrestling kids either - so I guess he wasn't the only one unhappy with some of the culture of that team.  Anyway - all that to say that he's off to a good start with track and field.

photo by GPHS track coach - at their first meet


Kenna participated in Battle of the Books and got 4th in the school competition.  Just barely missed making it to the finals.  Their team did really well considering one of the girls ONLY READ ONE BOOK out of the 10 or so that they were supposed to read, so Kenna and Megan had to carry the bulk of the load.  I don't know why that girl even did it.


Did I tell you Logan's Brain Bowl team got 2nd place at their competition in February?   
(Jenny, that's Derek Potts sitting next to Logan)



Brynne went to Eugene for an Orchestra Festival/competition on Friday - her school placed 2nd.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

complaint

June bugs part 2 - missionary love!

'May' you always have the wind at your back