Duty

My friend Ju recommended I listed to a BYU-Idaho Devotional given by someone she knew at the BYU Jerusalem center when she was there.  LINK.

I finally got around to listening to it and there was one thought that really stood out to me.  Brother Bennion shared this quote from President Heber J. Grant:  

"There is no danger of any man or woman losing his or her faith in this church if he or she is humble, and prayerful, and obedient to duty.  I have never known of such an individual losing his faith.  By doing our duty, faith becomes perfect knowledge...There is no power given to the adversary of men's souls to destroy us if we are doing our duty."  
  
I loved the simplicity of that promise.  Brother Bennion says you may not feel like you have a calling of any significance (or indeed, any calling at all), but when you are doing the basic things you are supposed to do such as attending your meetings, taking care of your family, etc., then the promise attached to that counsel holds true still.  It felt so hopeful.  Even something so simple as going to church - that is doing my duty - and that is something that I can do!  It doesn't mean I have to be amazing all the time, I just have to be plugging along.  The Lord cares about me and my offering and it is enough!


There is more awesomeness to the talk, but I just thought I'd share that.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

complaint

June bugs part 2 - missionary love!

'May' you always have the wind at your back