Books, books, and more books

For me, summer is a great time to do something fun and out of the ordinary.   Last year we did our first ever summer reading challenge.  We challenged ourselves to read 100 books from our own bookshelves before the end of the summer.  Sound easy?  What with vacations and classes and friends and pool time there was a lot less reading time than I had anticipated.  We made it - but just barely.



I love books.  Always have.  My children love books.


But there are two things I've noticed recently:
1) My children and myself are tending towards reading only the "latest and greatest" - what's new at the library or bookstore.
2) During the school year my kids mostly only have time to read their assigned school reading.

This is a problem for me.  Josh and I have spent a lot of time and money collecting what we deem the "best" books for our family library...but I have to wonder what good is a family library if no one ever reads from it?

Summer seemed like a perfect time to rectify that, so last year I came up with the "Sweet 100" challenge.  100 books read = a family trip to Cowlicks.  Not a grand treat, perhaps, since we went to Cowlicks a few other times during the summer, but a treat nonetheless!


Here's my thing about books.  There are always going to be new books to read.  Always.  And most of the time, those new books are one-time deals.  They're great entertainment (hopefully).  But for the most part they don't stick with you long.  I've long had concerns that our educational culture has gotten so hooked on getting our children to read that we've stopped caring what they read.  To me, books are food for our minds.  They nourish our imagination, feed our knowledge, develop our character, broaden our horizons, and maximize our vocabulary.  Unless, of course, you are reading chapter book #197 of how-to-pick-your-nose-and-annoy-your-brother-without-your-mom-finding-out!  Okay.  Maybe the imagination gets fed a little there.

Photo: http://www.burningthroughpages.org

Classics, though?  They teach life lessons in a non-threatening way.  They teach appreciation for nature (Anne of Green Gables), the power of good over evil (Chronicles of Narnia), how to apologize for mistakes (Anne, again), true love and sacrifice (Mrs. Mike), discovering who you are (The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate), determination and seeing a job through to the end (Mike Mulligan's Steam Shovel).    Who wouldn't be better off reading a few of those?  I think we should focus less on quantity with our children and more on quality.  Teach them that if you only read one book each year, read one that really matters and has the power to change your life, rather than the latest vampire thriller.
photo: http://www.rifflebooks.com

Yes,  I do occasionally read what I call "fluffy books" and so do my children.  I think of it like a piece of candy.  Will it kill me?  No.  Should it be our main course?  Obviously not!  But like any child - sometimes I just start eating candy after candy after candy...forgetting that a delicious strawberry or slice of watermelon is really better!



This year we have a new reading challenge designed to take advantage of the cold, foggy, windy days when playing outside is just not a fun option (for everyone else - this would be where you substitute crazy hot days).  This year we are totaling pages read individually - with DOUBLE points for non-fiction!!!  Why?  Because I have bought some awesome non-fiction books for my kids and they never read them.  Always a fan of a little reward along the way, we have treats like pool passes, ice cream cones, date nights with parents, days without chores, new books, and even a special family day trip as some rewards for stellar reading!

Ladies and Gentlemen, adjust your glasses, lick your finger, and get ready for some serious page-turning this summer!


Comments

  1. Im really looking forward to when James will be old enough for independent reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when I figured out classics are called classics for a reason. Anything I read becomes part of me, good or bad, so I had better make it good!
    Have fun w/ your summer reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

complaint

June bugs part 2 - missionary love!

'May' you always have the wind at your back