Beautiful June

I was so excited for summer to come (if you remember my last post).  Those last three weeks of school seemed to last FOREVER.  I may have overbooked my life.  It was like a marathon and a sprint in one.  Tennis, kid craft camp, school activities, piano recital.  It was so busy.  Joyful, but busy.  And now it's over.  And I'm so glad.

I've been busy thinking about things too.  I need to call a new counselor.  In fact, last week I submitted a name.  And then promptly spent this past week feeling very unsettled and anxious about it.  On Sunday I happened to spend 5 minutes with the Bishop and asked if he had made progress on that.  He kind of made a face and said he totally forgot - in fact couldn't even remember who's name I had submitted.  I reminded him and he asked me how I felt about it still - something he doesn't usually ask (also he doesn't usually forget when I submit a name).  I told him about my unsettled, anxious feelings and that usually I felt so good and happy....and he said maybe I wanted to keep thinking about...and I agreed that would probably be best.  And now I feel much better.  Still don't know who my new counselor will be, but I'm not worried and anxious anymore.  Good lesson there for me to pay attention to those feelings.  And a blessing from Heavenly Father that he helped my Bishop forget and gave me time to learn a little more.  I learn a lot these days.

So that was interesting.

I taught a Relief Society lesson on the Priesthood.  It was an amazing topic to study.  I learned so much.  I'm tempted to include a bunch of links but maybe I'll just link my notes.  What I do is put this stuff on the screen behind me so that the sisters can read along.  I do better understanding when I can read.  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZpTdMt3lGx_gF5s86uvaom12z4q0YZovXfyXZPO5ruk/edit?usp=sharing

If you saw the Relief Society message in the April Ensign - that was what triggered my lesson - it was suggested that women need to pay more attention to the Oath and Covenant of the priesthood - even memorize it - and understand it.  So I've been pondering that and decided to discuss that with the sisters.

Today I had a drive to Eureka and back to pick up Brynne's friend Shayla for a visit, so I finished listening to Sheri Dew's book "Women and the Priesthood".  It was really, really good.  I also started Brad Wilcox's book "The 7 Day Christian".  So Deseret Book has this thing where you can pay I think about $50 (or so)  a year and get a whole bunch of ebooks and audiobooks available on their app.  Highly recommend - if you listen to just 2 audiobooks you've basically recouped your costs, as they are so expensive.  Lots of church and non-church books available.


So now the photos.  We went to the Hillcrest Cemetery to see the Memorial Day ceremony that is put on each year.  Love the beauty of all those flags.


And loved seeing Faith putting her hand on her chest.



Just two boys in uniform.  



Kenna got on a kick making furniture for a fairy garden.  She  made a swing, bed, chair, house, and this adorable picnic table.




Early morning walk with the geese.  I love the way the sun was reflecting off the water.





And we joined a ton of other friends at the David Archuleta concert.  He is a super good singer - but totally awkward when he's not singing.  There were a lot of screaming girls that didn't seem to mind!
David Archuleta concert




Feeding ducks at Riverside park.  They were our best friends as long as the bread lasted.




We had an awesome Relief Society activity that was a combination of an idea that we stole from another ward, and what I used to do with the Young Women in Fort Bragg.  Basically it was a night to get to know and honor the oldest 80+ year old members of our ward.  The young women divided into small groups and interviewed them, then created displays for each sister and presented on them at the activity.  We're trying to cross some generational divides a little more.  Especially since our boundary change a lot of younger and older ward members don't get opportunities to interact.  It was so darling and got positive responses from everyone!

Relief Society activity celebrating the Golden Girls of our ward



Our summer of visitors has begun.  First the Robisons - twice, and we enjoyed playing with them!
Shannon came to visit

At Science Works in Ashland


End of school year fun - Logan somehow didn't go to any church dances this spring so this school dance was his first.
8th grade dance

The final project of the four day camp at Joanns.  This was a popular daily activity!
craft class

The second-to-last day of school featured a color run.  I took Logan straight from this to tennis class - so he looked amazing at his class.  ;-)



tennis class




Also the same night as the color run and tennis was the piano recital.  Logan's been taking for 10 months and he rocked it - playing a complicated Sonatina that he had memorized.  I recorded it for Josh, who couldn't be there, but now I can't find it.  I have a 30 second clip on my Instagram.

piano recital


Then on Friday we all joined him for the 8th grade "moving on" ceremony that they blessedly did in less than an hour.  It was hot and miserable in that gym.  I excused both my kids from school and we took the rest of the afternoon off.
he "moved on"




In December Kenna wanted to go to the Family Fun Center for her birthday.  But that's really not a fun place in the winter.  So I suggested she wait till June and we would plan a half birthday for her.  Friends invited her to join them at the Family Fun Center, so I got out of that one, but she still wanted a friend event...so we planned a park day for the day after school got out.  We had snacks and activities and the girls played happily for several hours.  

play date with friends




Sunday was Father's Day.  Josh rolled into town in time for the third hour of church.  Then we came home and bbq-ed burgers and gave him love.  We hadn't seen him for a few days so it was a nice reunion.  We are sure lucky to have him!
father's day gifts!




And on Monday I drove to Eureka to pick up Brynne's friend for a visit.  Along the way I was stopped at some roadwork and glanced over to see the sun peeking through the redwoods with hints of fog.  The picture doesn't do it justice, but I have to say, there is a beauty in these redwood forests that pierces you to the heart with the majesty and grandeur.
my drive to Eureka was full of beauteous places that I miss!  Those trees!!
And now summer is here and I am so glad.  Friends invited us to swim for FHE and it was a perfect way to kick off the summer.  Today I am putting my kids in boredom mode - that's my secret parenting tip for getting them to read or be creative.  Let them mope around with nothing to do for a few days and ideas start popping into their heads.  The ideas pop faster if it means getting out of chores - but I save that for when they start complaining of boredom and driving me crazy.

Our exchange student comes at the end of the month.  I'll introduce you all when I have a face to share!





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

complaint

June bugs part 2 - missionary love!

'May' you always have the wind at your back