Just Say No

So this is what has been going through my head lately.  Saying no to all those things that creep into our lives.

Elder Oaks  gave a superb talk, which our Sunday speakers referenced this past week, about choosing only the most important things.

It reminded me of why I almost never sign my younger kids up for extracurricular activities.  Sure they are fun and they learn good things.  But a lot of kids in our big family doing activities - even if it's just one for each kid - means a lot of time away from the home.  And honestly, my family is happier in the long run when we spend more time at home.  I feel better.  I have time to get things done that make our family life run more smoothly.  The kids enjoy time to unwind, decompress, be creative, read good books, and spend time together.  Dinner is more likely to be one time, and to be made (imagine that!) by me. Bedtime happens.  Scriptures and prayers and toothbrushing aren't forgotten.

Honestly, I just can't keep up if the kids are too busy.

So now with my new calling I've had to retrench even more.  It's like having a part time job.  But keeping my house clean-ish and feeding my family sort of healthy food are still important, so something else had to give.  That was the extra-curriculurs.  For the few that we have, I have driving swaps in place so I'm not gone every day from 4-6pm.  It's surprising how much of a difference that makes in our day, me being home during those crucial hours.

So as I've pondered Elder Oaks talk and thought about what I need to do to fulfill my calling better, I've come to the realization that cooking and cleaning with my kids and taking them to perform service for others are just about all I have time for - but it's really all we need right now.  My older kids are on their own.  High school is when they really start flying the coop.   I hardly see my older girls most days because they are all over the place.  Why rush it, right?


Stephen R. Covey divided our to-do's into four quadrants:
1. Urgent but not important
2. Important but not urgent
3. not important and not urgent
4. important and urgent.

He said we could skip  # 1, 3 but seldom do.  We always do #4.  We rarely do #1.

As my sweet counselor in Relief Society said - how we spend our time is how we show our commitment to the Lord.  Where am I spending my time?

Anyway - just the thoughts that have been roaming through my brain as I figure out my life in this current season.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

complaint

June bugs part 2 - missionary love!

'May' you always have the wind at your back