Lion to Lamb - March Madness

Guys?  Can I just say that I am so incredibly happy in my new surroundings.
 So, so happy.  
Content.
 It feels so good to feel that way after struggling against negative feelings frequently for the past 10 years.  Loved some great stuff about our old home and miss some great people - but it feels so RIGHT to be here right now, and that is a very satisfying feeling.

We are still smack-dab in the middle of birthday season - Brynne was the latest victim.  And now I can finally talk about her birthday because the surprise part is over.  So.  Due to the untimely and sudden death of the iPod Touch that Brynne bought herself a few years ago, we thought she might like a replacement for her birthday (turns out that was a giant yes) - which pretty much used up our birthday funds for her, plus.  So she had a really quiet birthday, which we celebrated on Easter since her actual birthday ended up being one of those days packed with busyness that doesn't lend itself well to making a kid feel special.  Anyway, Easter Sunday was lovely and tasty and sweet in so many ways.

Hannah, being the awesome older sister that she is, heard my little sadness that maybe Brynne's birthday would be just a little boring and un-special, and she went to work planning a secret surprise celebration.  Since spring break was in there, and a ton of busy weekends, she opted for an after school evening thing.  Hannah, assisted by Brynne's sweet friend Jenna, planned a scavenger hunt and a dinner with a handful of Brynne's closest friends.  Then kids started dropping by - about 20 in total - to surprise Brynne for a short game night.  They played games, ate yummy food, and all got home at a decent hour.  Brynne was thoroughly surprised and loved it.  Hannah did a great job coordinating with sports schedules and all sorts of stuff.  It was super cute and fun!  Several kids told Hannah to be sure to plan another event soon.

For me it was like "THIS is the sort of memories I want them to have in high school" and was totally worth it.









So that was fun.

We also spent a weekend in California in March so that I could attend my Native Daughters of the Golden West 100th Birthday celebration.  So first - it rained the entire weekend so we didn't get the beach time we were hoping for.  BUT church was fun, my NDGW party was so sweet, and the kids got to see many of their friends.

The part that was perfect for me was as we drove away, hearing my children agree that it was nice to visit but they weren't sorry we'd moved.  You always wonder if there is some secret feeling that they don't want to tell you about, so that was very reassuring to hear that they all felt like moving was the best thing.

We dyed cool easter eggs.  And hunted on Saturday.  We finished finding them literally 15 minutes before it started raining for the day.  We do a family Easter basket and I have stopped telling my kids it's from the Easter bunny.  I just can't get that into it.  The older kids each got one small thing and the little kids shared stickers, window markers, sidewalk chalk, and junk cereal.  I decided to go candy free and very simple this year.  But they were super happy!




In general happenings:

Josh is working like a fiend.  He is busy, busy but says things are going well.  He went to London and had an okay time.  I mean really, how much fun can you have on a world class trip with your best friend?



I am loving my primary class.  They keep me on my toes.  Also, girls camp prep is ramping up so that's fun.

Hannah is oh-so-happy with jazz band, two choir classes, and TA-ing in Brynne's spanish class.  She finished her online course and got permission to hang out in spanish with Brynne to keep her skillz up.  ;-)

Brynne is in track and turns out she likes it!  She wasn't sure she was going to enjoy it.  She is sprinting and did a super good job the first time she ran the 400M race.  That one is a toughie and she ran it like a champ.  I get to go to a meet tomorrow and I'm super excited to see her run and jump.

Logan is taking golf lessons now and he seems to be enjoying it.  I need to get him doing a little more  aerobic activity.  He has "boys off the wall" once a week which he ADoRES.  He wants to go to the middle school next year.  He's doing really well in school now that the main distractions have disappeared.

Kenna has decided that she doesn't want to keep going to public school next year - that surprised me! She is the kind of kid who is ideal for that learning environment - a quick learner and the kind of kid who gets along with others well.  Oh, well!  I'll be glad to have her home next year.

Natalie loves school - even though she is the kind of kid who lets herself get distracted by others and doesn't finish her work.  ;-)  She has a new bestie named Megan.  We do run/walk club after school and she and Megan are champion runners.

Faith is growing by leaps and bounds.  She can pretty much only be understood by family - but she does speak quite a bit and gets her point across.  I've heard a few four word sentences come out of her, but mostly she speaks with single words with gestures and grunts.  She definitely knows her own mind!  She recently started using our names consistently.



Saved up for her own doll!



Hiking in cathedral hills over spring break

This girl loves to care for her babies!

Conference weekend at the coast - I was told by both girls several times that Logan is "the best brother ever"
and that "brothers are so AWESOME!"  Couldn't agree more!

I love to be with my family.


Comments

  1. I love your posts. So glad you're all happy in GP.
    I hope Jenny's family is as happy in Mesa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so, so happy for you guys! It looks like you have settled in well, and everyone is having a good time. I completely understand your feelings. Sometimes, when I allow myself some quiet and look around at where I am, I just get a feeling of peace.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

complaint

June bugs part 2 - missionary love!

'May' you always have the wind at your back